Round Peg In a Square Hole-crafts

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jane Austen 2009

Just wanted to post a few pix of the Jane Austen Ball. Unfortunately, my friend Molly was sick and so didn't attend, so you'll just get pix of me:

Regency ladies

That's me on the left, in gold; the other two are my friends Corinne and Cat, fellow costumers. (Sorry, Corinne, not the best shot of you.)

And the Hubster got a good candid shot of the back of the gown:

Gold Regency gown

The amusing thing about this gown is that it was all done from stash! The fabric (lovely golden silk) was bought for a science fiction costume for Nasfic in 1999, but the woman who was to wear it couldn't make the event, so the outfit was never made. The trim was all bought (and the wide stuff beaded) for our Chess costumes, but was leftover. The underdress was made from bits and pieces of white poly-satin that I had left over from other things (the word "remnant" takes on a whole new meaning when you're making Victorian gowns, which run to 8+ yards for just a plain skirt). That's why the sleeves have those little puffs on them; I had to piece the sleeves, and thought I'd make it look "on purpose" by putting in the sheer ruched piece. And the turban was one scrap and one shawl, twisted and safety-pinned together with more of the leftover Chess trim and a Christmas-decoration-clearance-sale beaded tassel. (Thanks, Kate! You threw that together 4 or 5 years ago, and it's still going strong.....) All in all, not too bad for being sourced from my sewing room.